Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Sunday in Kenya

Psalms 138:1-3
I WILL confess and praise You [O God] with my whole heart; before the gods will I sing praises to You.
I will worship toward Your holy temple and praise Your name for Your loving- kindness and for Your truth and faithfulness; for You have exalted above all else Your name and Your word and You have magnified Your word above all Your name!
In the day when I called, You answered me; and You strengthened me with strength (might and inflexibility to temptation) in my inner self.

We attended church at Mattaw, today. It was a beautiful service. Full of worship and praise--The service began with an hour of music and dancing. I'm pretty sure...the kids love watching Americans attempt to mingle in. Alleshia and I received much instruction from one of the girls. She never spoke a word. However, her face said it all. She was precious. We just followed her dance moves. We could not always understand the songs in Swahili. But, they were praising and magnifying the Lord. It was a great and wonderful time of worship.
After the music, we enjoyed testimony and preaching. Bud, one of the Mattaw missionaries, encouraged the church to consider our loyalties. We challenged us to search our hearts. Are we loyal to men or are we loyal to God? Do we seek to please people or do we follow God's call? The service lasted 3 hours. However, it seemed like 30 minutes. It was beautiful.

After lunch, we spent the afternoon with the children. I spent most of my time with George. He is a sweet (and sassy) little 4 year old. Perhaps, it's the sassy part of him that draws me to him. Upon our introduction, He walked over to me and I sat down beside him. He gave a huge hug and said "You stand up...and take me with you". And I did. After George found some gum in my backpack, we were instant friends. He stayed with me...all afternoon. We picked flowers, visited the "baby cow", and played on the swings. He reminded me so much of my own sassy little 4 year old, Georgia-Kate. The kids love to see photos of our families. So, I showed George the photos on my phone. He loved seeing Georgia-Kate or "Georgia" as he called her.
I sure will leave a piece of my heart in Kenya when I say goodbye to George.


2 comments:

Ruthie said...

Oh, my, he is so sweet. I know you will love on him all week. God is at work at Mattaw. Can you share George's story?

Amelia@SavoryandSweet said...

He is such a cutie! I bet you want to bring him home with you. :)
What a wonderful experience for all involved. We will continue to pray for God's blessings for you and your team!