Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rescue

We love Him, because He first loved us. 1 John 4:19

Today, our teams spent the morning at a local rescue center. The depth of physical and emotional need at the center was overwhelming. While the children at Mattaw are well taken care of and loved--these children are just surviving. The sweet people who work at the rescue center provide what they can. However, they need so much assistance. All of these kids are orphaned or abused. Some of them are street kids who have been addicted to glue. The locals refer to them as "glue kids" or "glue boys". There is very little hope for these children. Some of them will get to go to Mattaw as there is room. They can only stay at the rescue center for 6 months. The best hope is that the workers can find placement with family or a place like Mattaw. It was just unbelievable. We felt completely helpless. We did takes some clothing and bibles for the children. But it just wasn't enough...All we could do was provide a little bit of love for those children to get them through the day. I watched our team be the arms of Christ as they held these children. It was so hard to leave them. I spent time with a sweet little boy named Tony. As we were leaving Tony could not stop running back for hugs. As I told him a final goodbye, Tony whispered in my ear "I love you". I'm so thankful that I can love Tony...because I know Christ. We love because Jesus first loved us. Tony just wants to be loved...like we all do. The kids follows us out of the gates and waved goodbye. Needless to say, we were emotional as our jeep pulled away.

After we left the center, we returned to spend the day at Mattaw. We had lunch and spent the afternoon making beaded necklaces. Meghan and Alleshia painted fingernails. They loved picking out nail polish. As I watched the Mattaw kids play. I felt so grateful that they are loved and taken care of. After seeing the rescue center children...you can see how blessed Mattaw is. By American standards--the need at Mattaw seems great. Grace, one of the house moms, said "We have everything we need". She is so right...the basic needs are provided and the kids are loved. They are loved and protected by people who serve a Mighty God.

I learned much today...
It is just almost impossible to put it into words. I'm just very thankful.


1 comment:

Ruthie said...

I am so thankful that God allowed you to take this trip and you could your team could love on these children even it was just for a little while.